The University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship is offered for a postgraduate taught student from Africa in the Department of Geography. Applicants must have applied to study on one of the following courses to apply for the scholarship at the University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students starting in September 2022: MA International Development, MSc Environmental Change, and International Development, MPH International Development.
Keep reading to find out about the University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students, its worth, eligibility, and application process.
The University of Sheffield is a public research university in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. Its history can be traced back to the foundation of Sheffield Medical School in 1828, Firth College in 1879, and Sheffield Technical School in 1884.
The University College of Sheffield was later formed by the amalgamation of the three institutions in 1897 and was granted a royal charter as the University of Sheffield in 1905 by King Edward VII. However, the University of Sheffield is formed from 50 academic departments which are organized into five faculties and an international faculty.
The University of Sheffield’s annual income for 2020–21 was £741 million, of which £163 million was from research grants and contracts, with an expenditure of £708.6 million. The university ranks among the top 10 UK universities for research grant funding, and it has become number one in the UK for income and investment in engineering research according to new data published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).
Moreover, the university is one of the top 7 British universities by postgraduate student enrollment along with UCL, King’s, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, and Oxford. The University of Sheffield is one of the original red brick universities and a founding member of the renowned Russell Group.
The University of Sheffield is also part of the Worldwide Universities Network, the N8 Group of the eight most research-intensive universities in Northern England, and the White Rose University Consortium. The university has been rated as a top 100 university in the world by QS for the last fifteen years. In 2019, Time Higher Education rated the University 22nd in Europe for teaching excellence.
In addition, there are eight Nobel laureates associated with Sheffield, and six of them are alumni or former long-term staff of the university. They are also contributors to the development of penicillin, the discovery of the citric acid cycle, the investigation of high-speed chemical reactions, the discovery of introns in eukaryotic DNA, the discovery of fullerene, and the development of molecular machines. Its alumni also include several Heads of state, Home Secretaries, Court of Appeal judges, Booker Prize winners, astronauts, and Olympic gold medallists.
Worth of University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students
The University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students covers a full tuition fee waiver, maintenance for University accommodation, and a monthly stipend.
See other scholarship opportunities
Eligibility for University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students
- To be eligible for the University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students, you must be classified as overseas for tuition fee purposes.
- Each candidate must be self-funded to receive this scholarship, i.e. not funded by a research council, government, private enterprise, charity, or any similar organization.
- This University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students cannot be awarded in conjunction with any other funding awards, either from the University of Sheffield or external sources.
- Note that your mode of attendance must be full-time to be qualified for the scholarship.
- Receipt of the University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship for African Students is subject to successfully meeting any condition(s) attached to your offer before the deadline provided by the Admissions Service.
- The receipt of the scholarship is subject to successfully receiving a visa to study at the University in September 2022.
- To be eligible for the scholarship, you must be a national of or permanently domiciled in an African country.
The Application Deadline for the scholarship is May 11, 2022.