The University of British Columbia Awards assists international graduate students with their tuition fees if they are registered full-time in research-oriented master’s and doctoral programs at the University of British Columbia Vancouver campus.
Continue reading this article to find out about the University of British Columbia Awards, its worth, eligibility, and application process.
The University of British Columbia is a public research university with campuses near Vancouver and in Kelowna, British Columbia. Founded in 1908, the University of British Columbia in British Columbia’s oldest university. The university rates among the top three universities in Canada.
With an annual research budget of $759 million, the university funds more than 8,000 projects a year. The Vancouver campus is located adjacent to the University Endowment Lands based about 10 km (6 mi) west of downtown Vancouver.
The University of British Columbia is home to TRIUMF, Canada’s national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics, which accommodates the world’s largest cyclotron. In addition to the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies and Stuart Blusson Quantum Matter Institute, the university, and the Max Planck Society collectively founded the first Max Planck Institute in North America, specializing in quantum materials.
However, one of the largest research libraries in Canada, the universities Library system has more than 9.9 million volumes among its 21 branches. The Okanagan campus, obtained in 2005, is based in Kelowna, British Columbia.
In addition, eight Nobel laureates, 74 Rhodes scholars, 65 Olympians garnering medals, ten fellows in both the American Academy of Arts & Sciences and the Royal Society, and 273 fellows to the Royal Society of Canada have been associated with the University of British Columbia. Three Canadian prime ministers, which include Canada’s first female prime minister, Kim Campbell, and current prime minister, Justin Trudeau, have been educated at the University of British Columbia.
The University of British Columbia’s academic activity is conducted in faculties and schools. The university has twelve faculties at its Vancouver campus and seven at its Okanagan campus. The university’s Vancouver has two academic colleges: Interdisciplinary Studies and Health Disciplines, while UBC Okanagan has a College of Graduate Studies. Moreover, the Vancouver campus, the Faculty of Arts, which dates back to the 1915 Fairview Campus, is the largest faculty with twenty departments and schools.
In 2014, the University of British Columbia formed a new International Programs designation separate from the traditional definition of a faculty. To accompany this designation, the university created Vantage College to allow international students who do not meet the English language requirements for general admission to enter its change program.
Furthermore, the university is a member of Universitas 21, an international association of research-led institutions, and the only Canadian member of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, an institution of 42 leading research universities in the Pacific Rim.
Worth of University of British Columbia Awards
The University of British Columbia Awards covers up to $3,200 per annum.
Eligibility for University of British Columbia Awards
- To be eligible for the University of British Columbia Awards, you must be assessed international tuition fees. Note that scholars can review their tuition assessments by logging into the Student Service Centre.
- Applicants must be registered full-time in one of the qualified graduate programs. Check your graduate program listing under Graduate Degree Programs (see Tuition / Program Costs box).
- Candidates who receive external funding like their home government, Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship, or other funding agencies like CIDA, WUSC, DAAD, CONACYT, CONICYT, NSF, for their tuition which is equal to or higher than the value of the International Tuition Award are not qualified for the scholarship.
- Applicants who receive external funding toward their tuition which is lower than the value of the International Tuition Award will have their International Award reduced by the amount of the external tuition funding.
- Please note that the University reserves the right to change the value of this scholarship without notice
How to Apply for the University of British Columbia Awards
The Application Deadline for the scholarship is not specified but it is still open.