The Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarships are specifically intended to support international students to undertake a Higher Degree by research at Flinders University. The Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship includes an international tuition fee offset, a living stipend, and Overseas Health Care cover.
Note that for visa purposes, the Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship is a Commonwealth Sponsored Scholarship. Continue reading to know about the scholarship, its worth, eligibility, and application process.
A limited number of up to 5 Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarships are available every year and the scholarship round is highly competitive. The Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship is awarded to applicants who demonstrate exceptional aptitude for independent research.
The scholarship is considered based on academic merit, academic research training, and research indicators, and performance. The scholarship is rational for up to three years for a Research Doctorate and up to two years for a Research master’ degree.
Successful candidates are required to undertake full-time study and must be starting a higher degree by research in Australia for the first time. Flinders University is a public research university in Adelaide, South Australia. Established in 1966, the university was named in honor of British navigator Matthew Flinders, who explored and surveyed the South Australian coastline in the early 19th century.
Flinders University is a verdant one and a member of the Innovative Research Universities (IRU) Group. Academically, the university developed a cross-disciplinary approach to education, and its faculties of medicine and the humanities have been rated among the nation’s top 10.
Worth of Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship
- The Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship pays a stipend at the standard rate set by the Australian Government of $28,854 pa tax-free(2022 full-time rate). Note that the scholarship also includes a Research Training Program place (RTP), which provides an offset for tuition fees for about 4 years.
- Any candidate who moves to Adelaide from overseas is qualified for an establishment allowance (after arrival at Flinders) of up to $1,485 to assist with relocation costs and airfares, provided receipts can be produced by the student.
Eligibility for Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship
- To be qualified for the Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship, you must be a citizen of any overseas country except New Zealand, and not hold Australian citizenship, Australian permanent resident status, or New Zealand citizenship.
- You must intend to commence full-time study for a higher degree by research in Australia for the first time, in the year for which the award is offered. Note that candidates who commenced their higher degree by research in the previous year but who, due to the timing of their application for admission and subsequent enrolment, we’re unable to apply for a scholarship in that year, or, commenced a higher degree by research and terminated that enrolment within six months of commencement, may be considered for the scholarship.
- Applicants need to enroll in an area of research concentration that is the areas in which the University has a particular strength, has concentrated its research resources, and has attracted external funding.
- To be qualified for the scholarship, you must satisfy all entry requirements for a higher degree by research, including the English proficiency levels in accordance with the English Language Proficiency Requirements for HDR Candidature.
How to Apply for the Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship
- To apply for the scholarship, you will need to activate your account using the Student ID from your registration and your date of birth provided at the time of registration: https://activate.flinders.edu.au/main
- Once you activate your account, you will receive a Flinders Authentication Name (FAN), you can now submit your application for the international HDR scholarship group.
- Then log in to your OKTA dashboard through the quick links on the Flinders website
Select Student System
Select the My Scholarship tab
Select the Create a new scholarship application button
Select 2023 from the search and select the International RHD Scholarship Group
Note that if you have studied at Flinders University but graduated more than 12 months ago you will need to reactive your FAN through the FAN reactivation page. With an active FAN, you will then be able to submit your application for a scholarship through the Student Information System as advised above.
your FAN via the FAN reactivation page, you will need to enter your first name, Last name, date of birth and your student ID, which is normally found on any letters sent by the university to you. The system will then be able to identify you more accurately if you can enter your student ID.
So once your application is complete which includes all mandatory questions and documentation, your application will be assessed. Assessment will begin once applications have closed.
For more information about the scholarship and to apply, click here.
Application Deadline for Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship
The application deadline for the scholarship is August 5, 2022.